Current monitor failing...Looking for a New Monitor, Help...

HI all.

I currently have a Dell U2414h which suffers from random bouts of Image retention/ghosting. however, when I switch the input from mDP to HDMI and vice versa it magically goes away for a while. So I figure its time for a change.

I don't play many games, to be honest. Mostly WoW and on occasions RTS's like AoE, or RPG's like the Witcher or Dragon Age series.

I was wondering if you guys might be able to suggest some options for me to delve deeper into. I'm currently running an ATI R9 290x - waiting for the new Nvidia cards to be released.

With so many technical reviews out there it would be nice to get some from the people who actually use the monitors for similar gaming styles.

Appreciate your time reading this post. I plan to explore Lims Cave when I get off work and do a lot more research. Some pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Tyriall

Re: Current monitor failing...Looking for a New Monitor, Help...

The question is: What do you really want?
Resolution?
144Hz?
TN / IPS / VA (Preferences: Responsiveness, vs Colors etc... can you deal with the IPS or VA Glow? Can you deal with TNs gamma shift and viewing angles?)
Budget?
Which Nvidia card you aim for to get? (2060/2070/2080(TI))

If you do not really play many games, 144Hz is not necessarily needed I would say, even if it is really nice using 144Hz on the desktop.

For those games you have mentioned, maybe an ultrawide is not a bad idea?

Cheers

lim wrote:
01 Aug 2018, 22:38
The question is: What do you really want?
Resolution?
144Hz?
TN / IPS / VA (Preferences: Responsiveness, vs Colors etc... can you deal with the IPS or VA Glow? Can you deal with TNs gamma shift and viewing angles?)
Budget?
Which Nvidia card you aim for to get? (2060/2070/2080(TI))

If you do not really play many games, 144Hz is not necessarily needed I would say, even if it is really nice using 144Hz on the desktop.

For those games you have mentioned, maybe an ultrawide is not a bad idea?

Cheers
Hi Lim.

Thanks for the reply.

Resolution: Would love something better than 1080p. WQHD or 4K. I do have a MacBook Pro that outputs 4K that I occasionally use with my monitor.

As for panel type, I'm not too fussed. I have never had a TN or VA Panel, only IPS. I want something with low backlight bleed and decent colour reproduction, and that is not prone to image retention. I guess the Backlight Bleed will vary between production models.
I got two of the U2414H when they were released and both were Very different when set to 6500k and the bleed on both of them was quite annoying when watching videos. I had to get them replaced 3 times before I got a decent result on both.

I'm in Australia so around AUD$1000 is probably the maximum I would go.

Probably the 2070/ti or the 2080/ti - once we get prices and benchmarks I'll be able to figure out the best bang for buck,

Never used a display above 60 Hz apart from LCD TV's when 100hz was released almost 10 years ago. TBH I found it jarring and annoying. From what I have read in reviews and seen in videos it seems that 144hz could be an option.

27" or Bigger - Ultra wide is definitely an option.

cheers

I'm not too fussed. I have never had a TN or VA Panel, only IPS.
In this case, MOST people who are changing from IPS to TN are disappointed. Same mostly applies when switching from IPS to VA (colour stability aka gamma and colour shift on an IPS panel is much better). Example: VA Quantum Dots are more intense in the center of the screen, but more milky/washed out at the sides compared to IPS and this "color" shift is something people changing from IPS to VA do not like
I got two of the U2414H when they were released and both were Very different when set to 6500k and the bleed on both of them was quite annoying when watching videos. I had to get them replaced 3 times before I got a decent result on both.
The NATIVE White-Point always will vary within each unit (as long as not using an expensive graphics monitors).

Never used a display above 60 Hz apart from LCD TV's when 100hz was released almost 10 years ago. TBH I found it jarring and annoying. From what I have read in reviews and seen in videos it seems that 144hz could be an option.

27" or Bigger - Ultra wide is definitely an option.
For an 16:9 Display I would pick the Acer XB271HU or the Viewsonic XG2703-GS - Please avoid the PG279Q (due to its panel frame construction you will have a much higher risk of bad IPS Glow and BLB)

When ultrawide is an option, then definitely the Acer X34P or the Alienware AW3418DW - Here you can pick the one which cost less money or decides on the design - The difference between both is only very very small. However, those monitors also have their cons like the uniformity lottery (a warmer left white point compared to the right panel side for example). This is mostly visible on the desktop, when browsing, or in general uniform brighter colours (mostly whites). You also can get a unit where it is only very hard to see with the naked eye. So the lottery will exist within ALL monitors.

I have never used a Mac, so I cannot really tell if the Mac ports support +120 / +144Hz :P

Has anyone had any experience with the Aftershock prism+ monitors out of Singapore? Apparently, they use some VA Panels for Samsung.

Me not, they are not available in Germany. But they are probably not using a Quantum Dot panel so that colours definitely will be worse than on your IPS Panels. If you want to pick VA and you won't have G-Sync, then only 2 monitors exist with these specs (LG and Acer) https://www.limscave.com/gaming-monitor-list. The Samsung CHG70 is better in terms of the overall image quality and colours, but it does not support G-Sync.

thanks for that Lim. WIll do some research on the models you suggested.

I have a question about G-Sync... Do you think its worth it? I mean I have never had issues with tearing and what not unless my GPU has been on its last legs. is this just another cash grab or is it something that is actually needed?

I want to buy my GPU and Screen at the same time so I'm doing as much research as I can in the build up. Hopefully my R-290x can hold out a couple of months more lol

is this just another cash grab or is it something that is actually needed?
I would say it is not needed but it is a nice to have, especially on 144Hz it is not necessarily needed. But it also comes down to you. When using G-Sync for a while, it is harder to switch back without G-Sync, because people get used to improvements very fast. Personally I really like G-Sync (Nvidia Chip) also because of ULMB - but many people do not really like that backlight strobing. So it again just personal preference. Everything is just a touch smoother, not only tearing is reduced, but when using G-Sync for a while and switching back to No-Sync, you will start to see stutters (: