27" Imac as reference

Hi Lim (and everyone) reading,

I stumbled across one of your reviews on youtube, which was way more detailed then most other online reviews.
So started reading on this site and found lots of information.

I'm currently in the market for a new monitor.
Like most here, i'm looking for a 1440p, 144hz, 27" monitor with G-sync.

I've read a lot of reviews and there are the "usual suspect" that seem to tick the boxes from Acer, Asus, AOC, Viewsonic and the like.

But how should I compare these current monitors to a 2011 27" glossy iMac screen which I used both proffesionaly and for some casual gaming over the last 7 years?

Re: 27" Imac as reference

Hey mate,

hard to tell, since I did never have tested a MAC in my life (except a mac pro in 2008).
Glossy screens for me personally are better than these matte panels.

According to colors and the image quality...? Hard to tell, as mentioned. But a TN panel probably will be a downgrade in terms of colors.

I would suggest you a WQHD IPS 1440P G-Sync panel if 16:9 is preferred and you can live with the IPS Glow. The Acer XB271HU or the Viewsonic XG2703-GS is what I would pick. Just avoid the PG279Q (the IPS Glow lottery is much bigger)

The imac displays are pretty high quality in my experience. Even if it isn't a newer 5k model. Apple typically dictates to suppliers exactly what they want and then that panel is exclusive to them for like a year. After the manufacturing process improves they even get to cherry pick. I used them for years before looking for more hz. Modern antiglare coatings have improved recently but they still don't match the clarity that only a glossy display can provide. Glossy won't be an option for a high refresh gaming display but you definitely want what's now called "semi-glossy" or light matte. They are not grainy or sparkly.

Any TN panel is going to be a major step down in terms of color and viewing angles. Don't listen to anyone who says that "but this TN is different" etc. No, it's not..I assure you. TN gaming displays offer low lag and smooth motion and that's the core benefit. I would turn it off if I didn't have a game on it.

I settled on XB271HU. It's not the BEST for any one particular job, but it's a damn good compromise for someone who does a little bit of everything. Here's a quality review on it if you're interested to learn more.

The panel lottery thing is unfortunately real. If you can find a store to view displays in person that's truly the best option. If you must purchase online then look for sellers with hassle free return and exchange policies. Always read the return and exchange policies before buying.

Any TN panel is going to be a major step down in terms of color and viewing angles. Don't listen to anyone who says that "but this TN is different" etc. No, it's not..I assure you. TN gaming displays offer low lag and smooth motion and that's the core benefit. I would turn it off if I didn't have a game on it.
This is pretty true. Even current FHD 144Hz panels are often better than 165Hz G-Sync TN Flagships in terms of colors and contrast (:

I settled on XB271HU. It's not the BEST for any one particular job, but it's a damn good compromise for someone who does a little bit of everything. Here's a quality review on it if you're interested to learn more.
The Acer XB271HU is also the one I would currently recommend and rate as the best G-Sync gaming monitor (if IPS is preferred over VA since this is personal preference). The reason for the Acer is pretty simple: The fewest risk of IPS Glow while the Acer still suffers from sharpness issues (vary in each unit) as well as my Viewsonic XG2703-GS. Rtings is really good, but they also forget some important aspects (range to the display, environment brightness etc) and they rely sometimes too much on measurement data in general since individual units will vary in terms of the responsiveness (up to several ms), the native white point, and probably everything else in a single monitor. I have read like all reviews for TVs and +120Hz monitors on rtings. There is a German YouTube channel btw (Digitalfernsehende) which makes even better reviews than Rtings (while he goes really in-depth while comparing different tvs) unfortunately only in ger (: However, Rtings is by far not bad, they can measure much more stuff with their equipment and compare many more units with their budget and I think Rtings is still the best source to rely on the international market when it comes to TVs. They did an awesome test for OLED Burn In which I really appreciate (and it also was a reason why I bought 1 year ago a VA TV instead of OLED). So I am happy they exist and fight against these "casueal" fake reviews which are 95% more popular for now than rtings, unfortunately :) But hey, nobody is perfect - I still cannot measure the input lag since it cost too much atm :P
The panel lottery thing is unfortunately real. If you can find a store to view displays in person that's truly the best option. If you must purchase online then look for sellers with hassle free return and exchange policies. Always read the return and exchange policies before buying.
The problem is that the store has ambient light (bright environment) so it is really very hard to evaluate.

If you will order your Acer, you should check the IPS Glow, scanline issues and how good/bad the native sharpness on the monitor is as well as check the brightness homogeneity (probably with those 4 aspects you will have the biggest lottery in monitors)

Thanks guys,

I definitely want to stick to a IPS screen.
Currently doing my officework on the iMac and gaming a bit on an old Dell 2007wfp from 2007.
(I can't blame that monitor because of its age and old tech, but it just looks horrible. XD)

The more i'm reading, the more i'm doubting about buying a (good) monitor at this moment.
It just seems there are so many quality problems which you wouldn't expect when buying a monitor in this price segment.

I've taken a look at the Viewsonic, which does seem to do quite good in tests, but figured out that there isn't an official reseller in Belgium.
RMA-ing a product like that would become a hassle I'm afraid.

The acer seems to be getting on the top of my list, but i really don't like "gamer look".
I will however go to a shop to see the product in real live.

The biggest problem I think that all these brands are using the same AUO panel, so the problems we see will effect all makes and models.

I spend quite some time looking for that premium looking high refresh rate 2k monitor, but ist just doesn't seem to exist.
Is it not allowed for mid aged people to game anymore and wanting that little extra quality/design for a price premium?
I can't be the only one looking for a monitor like that. XD