Help me get a Threesome

Hello Lim and everyone else,

I am looking to buy a new monitor with a high refresh rate, but I cant make up my mind. The Eizo Fortis looks good, but my 1080ti locked me into the NV ecosystem. My case is a bit different, as I am looking for a 3rd monitor to supplement my current setup. I have been using PVA and IPS panels for a long time, and I do not think that I even see the IPS glow anymore. I have not used a TN in ages.

Setup:
- Two LG 27UD88-W.AEU (27'', 4k, 60Hz) VESA mounted with arms side by side
- Geforce 1080ti
- Color calibration tool

What do I plan on using the new screen for:
- Office work (60%)
- Gaming (30%)
- Movies (10%)
- Photo / color sensitive work (0% as I got my LGs for that)

What do I want to fix about my setup?
- I tend to watch movies on my PC, so I would not be opposed to a bigger screen. Ultrawide does not make sense given my two other screens.
- I would prefer a higher refresh rate for gaming. I am far from a competitive level these days, but 60Hz just does not cut it.

What have I looked into?
  • ASUS ROG Swift PG27UQ - Pro: IPS, 4k, gsync HDR (10bit), 144Hz // Con: damn expensive, hard to get, no real tests that are not just glorified press releases
  • Acer Predator XB271HUTbmiprz - Pro: IPS, gsync, 144Hz // Con: horrible backlight bleeding?
  • ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q - Pro: IPS, gsync, 144Hz, 70 bucks less than XB271HUTbmiprz // Con: horrible backlight bleeding?
  • LG 32GK850G-B - Pro: Gsync, 144Hz, bigger screen, similar bezels&look // Con: VA?

Questions I have on my mind:
  • Have TN displays come a long way? Is there a benefit to Gsync at high refresh rates? Something like the BenQ Zowie XL2735 with 240 Hz might be a cheap alternative
  • Is the BLB on Acer&Asus IPS really that bad or is it comparable to my LG IPS screens?
  • Will the LG 32GK850G-B look differently, even after calibration?
  • Is there a different monitor I should be looking at?
  • Any recommendation between the ones I selected?

Re: Help me get a Threesome

ASUS ROG Swift PG27UQ - Pro: IPS, 4k, gsync HDR (10bit), 144Hz // Con: damn expensive, hard to get, no real tests that are not just glorified press releases
Probably the best one :P But not released yet (at least in Ger)

Acer Predator XB271HUTbmiprz - Pro: IPS, gsync, 144Hz // Con: horrible backlight bleeding?
ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q - Pro: IPS, gsync, 144Hz, 70 bucks less than XB271HUTbmiprz // Con: horrible backlight bleeding?
Simply a lottery. The Acer is still much better than the PG279Q in terms of the GLOW. So in the end you need a bit of luck to get aGOOD unit and average luck to ger an average example
LG 32GK850G-B - Pro: Gsync, 144Hz, bigger screen, similar bezels&look // Con: VA?
yes, VA Glow + slower response time + gamma/color shift(va glow addition)

Have TN displays come a long way? Is there a benefit to Gsync at high refresh rates? Something like the BenQ Zowie XL2735 with 240 Hz might be a cheap alternative
Yes G-Sync on high refresh eliminates stutter but here again it is different from game to game. G-Sync has sometimes more impract (like in the game the long dark) than in CS GO for example. Overall G-Sync is a nice to have on 144Hz and a must have around 60 hz for games I would say.
Is the BLB on Acer&Asus IPS really that bad or is it comparable to my LG IPS screens?
The Glow on those LG Screens is different. Those 144Hz panels from AU-Optronics have mostly a brownish glow with a STRONGER contrast so that the glow is more visible compared to your LG Screens

Will the LG 32GK850G-B look differently, even after calibration?
No, not really, especially not for games. In programmes where ICC profiles can be read (photoshop), colors will look different with fewer deviations from delta E (more accurate) but not in games. In games, you will only see a difference in gamma and the color temperature

Is there a different monitor I should be looking at?
If you want G-Sync I would recommend the Acer XB271HU or the Viewsonic XG2703-GS even both have the IPS Glow + lottery of course. In my opinion IPS is much better than VA in GAMING monitors simply due to the distance to the panel and that you can observe much more va glow (color / gamma shift + brighten blacks) on a monitor compared to TVs.
Any recommendation between the ones I selected?
The Acer (in my opinion). WOuld NOT buy the Asus simply because of much more glow issues due to the panel frame construction (I had 5 units and I saw a lot of other units from different ppl)