Asus PG278QR Review + measuring data

All measuring datas from the PG278QR review. Suggestions, questions, critism, and new ideas? Post them in here.

Very important zum Thema to the topic "the optimal OSD settings".
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13&sid=a0b59eea8550 ... 4a485789ce

Measurings Contrast and Brightness:

(Luminance adjustment range, blackpoint adjustment range, average contrast ratio, recommended osd brightness on standard preset):

Luminance OSD setting stability:

Brightness to contrast ratio stability:

Performance on default settings

Default Settings PG278Q:

Deviation on default settings: (Ziel = Target, Abweichung = Deviation)

Results on default settings:

Measured whitepoint different presets:

Optimal OSD settings

Settings:

Results:

Deviations:

ULMB
Note: On ULMB it's hard to calibrate or set the optimal settings, while a colorimeter will not know in which state the backlight strobing is so that colours, colour accuracy and the colour temperature can't be measured exactly.

Measurement with constant ULMB pulse width on different brightness settings:

Measurements with constand brightness on different ULMB pulse width:

Results optimal setting:

Re: Asus PG28QR Review + measuring data

Hey and thanks :) unfortunately I don't have an ICC profile for the PG278QR. The idea to "offer" this just comes later .. :P BUT. It's better to calibrate without using an ICC profile because of deviations in individual units. Color accuracy from ICC profile only would work within programs which can read ICC profiles like photoshop for example. Your games will not be able to read ICC profiles - and if they would do, your games would look worse compared to uncalibrated because more intense colors for games is mostly better.

What you can do. Adjust brightness on your personal preferences, as same as color temperature. I also would not recommend just to use my settings or even settings from other reviews. Results can be worse compared to standard settings. And if gamma settings are to bright within the pg278qr , you can adjust within your grpahics cards settings a bit. Your gradients would suffer a bit but again for games this isn't that necessary. Optimal settings are hyped and in my opinion a "bad" myth, which must be forgotten...

https://limscave.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13

lim wrote:
17 Jun 2017, 18:16
Hey and thanks :) unfortunately I don't have an ICC profile for the PG278QR. The idea to "offer" this just comes later .. :P BUT. It's better to calibrate without using an ICC profile because of deviations in individual units. Color accuracy from ICC profile only would work within programs which can read ICC profiles like photoshop for example. Your games will not be able to read ICC profiles - and if they would do, your games would look worse compared to uncalibrated because more intense colors for games is mostly better.

What you can do. Adjust brightness on your personal preferences, as same as color temperature. I also would not recommend just to use my settings or even settings from other reviews. Results can be worse compared to standard settings. And if gamma settings are to bright within the pg278qr , you can adjust within your grpahics cards settings a bit. Your gradients would suffer a bit but again for games this isn't that necessary. Optimal settings are hyped and in my opinion a "bad" myth, which must be forgotten...

https://limscave.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13
Hey Lim !

Thank you for your answser, i've bought the monitor yesteday, but amazon refund me because there was a real clouding issue.

So i have a big question, i tried some IPS monitor with same technologies such as the PG278QR but on every monitor there was IPS glow. So that's why i've tried this monitor.

Do you know if there is any real good monitor with G-Sync 1440p in 27" worth it to buy, without that kind of issues or with less chances to got thoses ?

I want to use it to watch films, gaming and do some photoshop but not at a pro level. I use also Lightroom when i want to edit some photos of mine.

And an other question is : What method and what tools i need to make a good calibration for a computer monitor ?

Thank you for the link, it's helpful.

Keep it up with this good work of yours !

Regards

Your welcome :) Well all WQHD 1440p G-Sync monitors I tested had clouding issues (like vertical clouding strips) which is probably AU-Optronics fail becaus all newer Full HD 1080p don't had these issues.... I think its also very hard to get one with a good uniformity currently, unfortunately :( With IPS panels I have the same problem, I cannot deal with IPS glow. The viewsonic I had (G-Sync), had the best glow abilities, but even here I couldn't live with this glow. So thats why I also stick to Full HD atm. What about the new Samsung / AUO / Philips monitors with VA 144 Hz ? (but "only" freesync :X) -> Samsung C32HG70 / Samsung C27HG70 / AOC Agon AG322QCX / Philips 328m6fjmb.

Maybe it's currently just worth to wait for other monitors before you spend hundreds of dollars into a monitor with disatvantages you cand deal with.

To calibrate I even don't use test screens. I calibrate color temperature just on the desktop (or sometimes I change it in a game) as same as brightness. Gamma is a bit more difficult while in some content my settings looks good and at other games it's sometimes to dark. On desktop for TN even Gamma 2.4 is not bad, because of TN viewing angles.

The one and only thing you can do without hardware calibration is to lower the gamma in your graphics card setting with some test screens like or tools like this (sorry coudln't find in English): https://www.eizo.de/monitortest/ -> Choose only gamma and click on "test starten"
Explanation: Change the grayscale of the logo using the slider until the logo fuses with the background as much as possible. The displayed value corresponds to the gamma value of your monitor. So you set that Gamma value in the tool which you aim for and change gamma settings in the monitor OSD. If they don't "hit" your desired gamma value then you have to change within your graphics card settings. I hope this will help
This is something I already post in another topic. I hope it can help. But like mentioned, you dont need hardware calibration if you don't use photoshop. If you want use photoshop, especially for print, hardware calibration is pretty important.

... in the end... sorry I cant help you, but current WQHD monitors has some issue which some people can deal with and other can't. If the Asus pg278qr clouding already disturbs you, you shouldn't try the dell, while dell has very noticeable color banding issues and the acer and also the dell had the same clouding amount as my asus pg278qr. Maybe It's worth to take a closer look into the new 144 hz wqhd va panels. I currently stick to 1080p, and I also will give the new VA's a chance soon, when I finished my "Freesync 144 full hd tournamend".

Your welcome :) Well all WQHD 1440p G-Sync monitors I tested had clouding issues (like vertical clouding strips) which is probably AU-Optronics fail becaus all newer Full HD 1080p don't had these issues.... I think its also very hard to get one with a good uniformity currently, unfortunately :( With IPS panels I have the same problem, I cannot deal with IPS glow. The viewsonic I had (G-Sync), had the best glow abilities, but even here I couldn't live with this glow. So thats why I also stick to Full HD atm. What about the new Samsung / AUO / Philips monitors with VA 144 Hz ? (but "only" freesync :X) -> Samsung C32HG70 / Samsung C27HG70 / AOC Agon AG322QCX / Philips 328m6fjmb.

Maybe it's currently just worth to wait for other monitors before you spend hundreds of dollars into a monitor with disatvantages you cand deal with.

To calibrate I even don't use test screens. I calibrate color temperature just on the desktop (or sometimes I change it in a game) as same as brightness. Gamma is a bit more difficult while in some content my settings looks good and at other games it's sometimes to dark. On desktop for TN even Gamma 2.4 is not bad, because of TN viewing angles.

The one and only thing you can do without hardware calibration is to lower the gamma in your graphics card setting with some test screens like or tools like this (sorry coudln't find in English): https://www.eizo.de/monitortest/ -> Choose only gamma and click on "test starten"
Explanation: Change the grayscale of the logo using the slider until the logo fuses with the background as much as possible. The displayed value corresponds to the gamma value of your monitor. So you set that Gamma value in the tool which you aim for and change gamma settings in the monitor OSD. If they don't "hit" your desired gamma value then you have to change within your graphics card settings. I hope this will help
This is something I already post in another topic. I hope it can help. But like mentioned, you dont need hardware calibration if you don't use photoshop. If you want use photoshop, especially for print, hardware calibration is pretty important.

... in the end... sorry I cant help you, but current WQHD monitors has some issue which some people can deal with and other can't. If the Asus pg278qr clouding already disturbs you, you shouldn't try the dell, while dell has very noticeable color banding issues and the acer and also the dell had the same clouding amount as my asus pg278qr. Maybe It's worth to take a closer look into the new 144 hz wqhd va panels. I currently stick to 1080p, and I also will give the new VA's a chance soon, when I finished my "Freesync 144 full hd tournamend".