Re: The road to the perfect monitor

maybe because the screen was brighter at the same brightness?
]]

This is possible yes, a brighter screen in a direct 1:1 comparison has a more brilliant look.

I purchased a CFG70 to my girlfriend and it's fantastic! But it's a Freesync monitor
Yes, the CFG70 is really a good monitor if you get one without purple artifacts. Otherwise the CFG70 has VA Glow

LG also should release soon a 32 Inch WQHD G-Sync monitor, but it's not fix for 100% if this monitor will have VA or IPS >(

I can say that the materials used to build the monitor are not the best.
Yes, the plastic feels a bit cheap, even on the XB271HUA and the XF270HUA - but I prefer cheap plastic compared to huge IPS glow issues >D

Well, got the XG2703-GS in the end.
At first, i've noticed the coating wich is a little bit more matte than the XB271HU. Blacks are more deep on the Viewsonic but still with some glow in the right corner as usuall (Sadly IPS will never compare to my Eizo S-PVA panel!).
But the thing that mostly disappointed me was uniformity. How come that every IPS G-sync monitor i've tried is yellow on the left side and blue on the right side. Is this normal? cause it is really visible while im browsering on the web, i mean greys and whites are different on each side, and i really notice this sometimes even while gaming (in some menu screens).

This friday i will buy my X-Rite i1 Pro...maybe there is some trick to solve this or at least to make it less noticeable.
I really hope that panels like the PG35VQ and the PG27UQ will be without flaws in terms of uniformity and blacks.
I am not positive with the 32gk850g cause its still IPS...what do you think?

How come that every IPS G-sync monitor i've tried is yellow on the left side and blue on the right side. Is this normal?
Hmm, not really :O The worst uniformity in an IPS panel currently I saw was the Acer XF270HUA, but I'm sure that this will differ again within each individual unit.
cause it is really visible while im browsering on the web, i mean greys and whites are different on each side, and i really notice this sometimes even while gaming (in some menu screens).
This is exactly that what bothered me on the mentioned Acer while I don't recognize this on my Viewsonic
This friday i will buy my X-Rite i1 Pro...maybe there is some trick to solve this or at least to make it less noticeable.
I don't think that an ICC profile would help in this case, unfortunately. Consider that game does not read ICC profiles. You can test this easily while installing an ICC profile, open a picture in a software which supports ICC profiles (photoshop for example) and open that same picture on desktop + compare. Then you should notice a clear difference
I really hope that panels like the PG35VQ and the PG27UQ will be without flaws in terms of uniformity and blacks.
With that much dimming direct LED's I really would wonder if they wouldn't. Even my 64 dimming zones TV looks close to perfect (but it's VA).

I am not positive with the 32gk850g cause its still IPS...what do you think?
I've heard that the LG finally is a VA panel. I will give all monitors a try - hard to say how "new" panels will perform. Current 32 Inch VA Panels probably all are using Samsung panels (Asus, Acer, AOC, Viewsonic..)

If the homogeneity from the Viewsonic bothers you too much, then I probably would exchange. I'm currently also thinking about to getting simply a TN for gaming and an IPS for everything else - If I just could get an IPS panel with the homogeneity + Glow conditions from the Eizo FS2735 - But I assume that it was a golden sample T_T

I don't think that an ICC profile would help in this case, unfortunately. Consider that game does not read ICC profiles.
You mean that if i create an ICC Profile on Windows 10 with the X-Rite it won't be applied in games??
I've heard that the LG finally is a VA panel. I will give all monitors a try - hard to say how "new" panels will perform. Current 32 Inch VA Panels probably all are using Samsung panels (Asus, Acer, AOC, Viewsonic..)
Really its VA?? Thats a super news!!! It will be available in US next week!: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6824025836 what about Europe?
If the homogeneity from the Viewsonic bothers you too much, then I probably would exchange. I'm currently also thinking about to getting simply a TN for gaming and an IPS for everything else - If I just could get an IPS panel with the homogeneity + Glow conditions from the Eizo FS2735 - But I assume that it was a golden sample T_T
Yes it bothers me indeed, but with PG279Q and XB271HU it was the same...so according to you it was just bad luck =(
So what do you suggest...should i send back the Viewsonic for another sample, or buy a TN until the LG comes out?
It would be a gaming monitor cause i use the Eizo Flexscan for other stuff...
Thanks a lot for your help <3

Sorry for the late response, missed your post.
You mean that if i create an ICC Profile on Windows 10 with the X-Rite it won't be applied in games??
Yes, ICC profiles won't work in (most) games - only color temperature and gamma changes.

Really its VA?? Thats a super news!!! ....
In Ger the LG will release in February, LG picked a good strategy to avoid a Lim's Cave review ;D

So what do you suggest...should i send back the Viewsonic for another sample, or buy a TN until the LG comes out?
I assume that you are from Europe. These Quality Control issues really are horrible...
Hard to say what to do. To sell the TN after the LG releases (consider that the LG also can suck :P) is also exhausting and TN WQHD also cost pretty much - Currently, I also don't know really what to do lol... Maybe I will go for Full HD TN currently because I bought an RX580 for Freesync monitor reviews and I'm also out of money. Will save some money for the HDR direct LED monitors next year and wait before I will buy a new graphics card.

+ current TN's WQHD have a horrible aggressive anti-glare coating - Current 144 Hz Full HD monitors have better black uniformity, less clouding issues, better blacks ... It's really weird.

I assume that you are from Europe. These Quality Control issues really are horrible...
Hard to say what to do. To sell the TN after the LG releases (consider that the LG also can suck :P) is also exhausting and TN WQHD also cost pretty much - Currently, I also don't know really what to do lol... Maybe I will go for Full HD TN currently because I bought an RX580 for Freesync monitor reviews and I'm also out of money. Will save some money for the HDR direct LED monitors next year and wait before I will buy a new graphics card.

+ current TN's WQHD have a horrible aggressive anti-glare coating - Current 144 Hz Full HD monitors have better black uniformity, less clouding issues, better blacks ... It's really weird.
Yes I'm from Italy! The point is I'm stucked with G-Sync synce i've spent a lot on my 1080 Gtx SLI configuration. I've also watched your analisys on gsync WQHD panels and the coating really scared me a lot! So I'll hope for a better Viewsonic unit like the one you reviewed!
Btw here is the XG2703-GS uniformity issue i've mentioned... https://imgur.com/a/dLueL

My worse nightmare came true..Today is a month now since i try to get a good panel from Samsung. In total i bought 4 c27hg70 after each other and send them back one after each cause of serious clouding which was really bothering even on 30% brightness.First unit was acceptable with one small clouding spot on the left bottom corner but i sent it back cause i couldn't get it to work via display port.The other three came without color calibration report and they all had some serious clouding..
I decided to try my luck again and i ordered this time 4 c24fg73 after each other,3 from supplier stock and one directly from Samsung. One out of the 3 had no clouding and even on 100% brightness you couldn't notice anything except the typical VA glow which it didn't bother me. The reason i sent this one back was because half of the screen was yellow on a white background.The other 2 had crazy annoying clouding atleast 6 spots while the one from Samsung was the worse out of all 4. After contacting Samsung they replied with .." its not their fault that it doesn't meet my expectations.."
Here are some pictures that i took,all of them are ISO 1600 while the brightness level of the monitor is 30%.

https://imgur.com/VrkUfKE
https://imgur.com/hkuiQ1X
https://imgur.com/HLRbGS2
https://imgur.com/UYwdugC
https://imgur.com/ehRqPBR

I'm really done stressing what i get when i open the package and sending them back on my own cost..
If you have any suggestions or recommendations about which monitor i should try next please let me know.
I don't want TN that's for sure, Good VA or IPS if possible ( i own myself XB271HU) the screen will be for my girlfriend.Personally i will get the Asus PG27UQ when it comes out)

Thank you for understanding and i wish everyone a happy easter! :)

My worse nightmare came true..Today is a month now since i try to get a good panel from Samsung. In total i bought 4 c27hg70 after each other and send them back one after each cause of serious clouding which was really bothering even on 30% brightness.First unit was acceptable with one small clouding spot on the left bottom corner but i sent it back cause i couldn't get it to work via display port.The other three came without color calibration report and they all had some serious clouding..
I decided to try my luck again and i ordered this time 4 c24fg73 after each other,3 from supplier stock and one directly from Samsung. One out of the 3 had no clouding and even on 100% brightness you couldn't notice anything except the typical VA glow which it didn't bother me. The reason i sent this one back was because half of the screen was yellow on a white background.The other 2 had crazy annoying clouding atleast 6 spots while the one from Samsung was the worse out of all 4. After contacting Samsung they replied with .." its not their fault that it doesn't meet my expectations.."
Wow man, sounds like a lot of effort you put into this - seems that the CHG27 not only has more banding issues but also more clouding and black uniformity issues overall

Buying a monitor and getting a good unit when taking a closer look into things like sharpness, homogeneity etc can really be exhausting so that in the end it is simply a lottery we will pay in monitors when they will not finally implement local dimming solutions (since then uniformity issues, especially in blacks are way better even the panel would have clouding or other black uniformity issues when disabling this feature). The other solution would be to integrate the tech which is implemented in graphics monitors due to homogeneity issues, but this mostly is very expensive (Eizo CG2730 for example).

So in the end, there is always a lottery within gaming monitors but the CHG70 in 32 has fewer homogeneity issues. Personally, I would enter the IPS lottery and go with the Acer or Viewsonic IPS model for now if you do not want a TN panel... I mean, TN still is good when using in a pitch black room, even blacks are worse but there are no such things as the glow within IPS and VA panels.

Thank you for your response.
Personally i own an Acer Xb271hu and it has minimal leakage at the right corner,nothing bothering.
Would you suggest to try my luck for the last time and buy the chg70 32 inch version(Right now on discount 650 euros) or just buy a good TN gaming monitor.
If so, could you suggest a good TN screen after your experience? i was thinking about the Benq Xl2546 which is a 240 hz , 6 bit +FRC(1080p) Panel or Asus PG278QR.
I had 2 Dell S2417DG and both had pixelated black which i didn't really get .The monitor will be for my girlfriend.

Thank you again in advance.

Would you suggest to try my luck for the last time and buy the chg70 32 inch version(Right now on discount 650 euros) or just buy a good TN gaming monitor.
I am using today since 2 months ago a TN panel, and wow, colors are really weird man ... Never expected this the difference is so huge when switching back to TN. I mean, I still would prefer TN for competitive games.
If so, could you suggest a good TN screen after your experience?
There is no really a superb TN WQHD on the market. The best I tested so far is the PG278QR but it has this super matte panel coating
i was thinking about the Benq Xl2546 which is a 240 hz , 6 bit +FRC(1080p) Panel or Asus PG278QR.
Will test the BenQ probably soon (hopefully) with several other 240Hz panels in 1 video probably
I had 2 Dell S2417DG and both had pixelated black which i didn't really get .The monitor will be for my girlfriend.
Oh, how about Dell's color banding? I think the 24" version suffers as same as the 27" version from color banding as far as I know. I got now the AOC 24" WQHD TN here and darker grey shades, unfortunately, have a super brownish tint :( I really hoped that the AOC could be the "best" TN 1440p but it also has a super matte disturbing panel coating... So I will also keep probably a 240Hz model and test your mentioned zowie, the Alienware the Viewsonic (G-Sync version) and the new LG with LGs own backlight scanning

Hello I have a question,
Do you know which monitor has worse colour bending (in general), the Dell S2716DG or AsusPG278QR?
I tried two Dell's and both of them had really bad colour bending. I did really like the 1ms response time and the 144 hz tho..
So if you say in advance that the Asus has the same problems from your experience then I won't even try. Otherwise I might give it a shot.
Or do you have any other recommendations of monitors in the same category that don't have this problem at al?
Regards.

Do you know which monitor has worse colour bending (in general), the Dell S2716DG or AsusPG278QR?
Yes the Dell has the worst I have seen so far

The Asus has far fewer problems but color banding is still visible as on all AU-Optrinics TN and many other TN panels (even IPS panels will have color banding) but the Dell is really extreme.

Today i received the Benq XL2546 and i cannot be happier.Picture quality is good for a TN panel with a color profile, no color banding as far as i noticed, no dead pixel and most important, even on 100% brightness the black is solid with no bleed and clouding.Black isn't as good as black on a Va panel of course but man.. this thing is a beast and im really happy with it after those 8 units from Samsung.i will use it until the 4k HDR monitor comes out From Asus and Of course i will watch your review of the monitor before buying :)

Yes the Dell has the worst I have seen so far

The Asus has far fewer problems but color banding is still visible as on all AU-Optrinics TN and many other TN panels (even IPS panels will have color banding) but the Dell is really extreme.

Thanks! Now that I know that it probably can't get any worse then on the Dell, I'm a bit less hesitant to try out some other monitors.

My road to perfect monitor is road to hell...
- viewsonic xg2703-gs : 3 units going back to the retailer because dead pixel or real big backlight bleed.

I changed to an Acer Predator XB271H IPS: it just came today... and black dead pixel in middle of the screen. Tomorrow is going back to the retailer.

Im losing my hopes.... lol.

Is there any news of better quality control and manufacturing for 27 "144hz, 2k, IPS, g-sync monitors? (Asus, Acer, ViewSonic or AOC)

What of theses brands do you recommend to try again? Perhaps Acer?

Thanx!

Thanks Lim fur this awsome site about monitors, Ive learned a lot.

Looking in diferent threats Ive found that you post my answer already! Thanx again....

Ill try with Acer XB271HU IPS... If I cant find a unit with no BLB , Ill gave up the ips lottery and Ill try withe the tn of ASUS PG278QR.
lim wrote:
17 Feb 2018, 23:02
Sorry mate for the late response, just the forum is pretty "small" and I have to answer every single question, since people who found a solution probably are not visiting the forum anymore.
I personally would go for the PG278QR if you want the best response time and with the XB271HU or the Viewsonic XG-2703-GS if you want the best overall picture quality. Consider, to get used to the IPS Glow is pretty hard in the beginning, especially when you have used TN for several years. The Acer and the Viewsonic probably both have the fewest "risk" but the lottery still is present in currently all IPS (gaming) monitors.

- viewsonic xg2703-gs : 3 units going back to the retailer because dead pixel or real big backlight bleed.
This is still possible, that the Viewsonic can have also a bad uniformity and/or much Glow - It is really hard to tell if the Glow from your units were average or really bad without seeing them in person :/
Is there any news of better quality control and manufacturing for 27 "144hz, 2k, IPS, g-sync monitors? (Asus, Acer, ViewSonic or AOC)
No, not really. It is also often due to the panel manufacturer and how well the monitor was built into the case. Acer and Viewsonic were the best so far (from G-Sync monitors) The Asus was extreme bad due to the stiff panel frame construction. Manufacturers are really not thinking far enough to reduce the "risk" of a bad unit