Timing on purchase/upgrade?

Hi Lim and all,

firstly, great work on the site and videos - the video reviews are some of the best I've ever seen, and I think this site really speaks to a need that a lot of gamers have around getting decent info on displays.

current situation - I had a Acer Predator XB271HU, which after about 9 months, suddenly developed a black 'crack' under the screen that slowly spread. Ive sent it back to Acer but theyre refusing ackonlwegde it was there problem - obviously not massively happy.

It looks like I'll have to buy a new monitor, so i find myself in an odd situation, where the XB271HU (and the Asus quivalent) still feel theyre like the best gaming panels out there, hitting the 144/1440 sweet spot with IPS and Gsync. I could just buy the ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q (because, F**k you Acer customer support! :) ), but it feels a little bit odd to be buying the equivlaent of my old monitor again, which is already a 2015 monitor - I feel like it should be a good oppurtnity to upgrade?

The Alienware AW3418DW feels like a solid upgrade, but at nearly double the cost of the above monitors, im not sure its worth it (plus a few goes on the ultradwides have left me with some minor nausea issues). It's also out of stock on Dell's site for at least a month.

Otherwise the LG 32GK850G-B feels like a possibilty, but not sure if the VA screen will be a bit meh after the IPs panel. Plus, 27 seemed a good size for a desktop monitor - I'm a bit worried 31.5 will feel like too much real estate sitting that close.

So, in short, would you opt for one of the above, or would you wait a while? I have an old 1080 IPS panel im using at the moment, so its not urgent. I'm wondering if I got another 1440/144 IPS id be kicking myself in 3 months time when XYZ new monitors come out?

Sorry about the long rambling post, and thanks in advance.

Justin

Re: Timing on purchase/upgrade?

Hey (:
firstly, great work on the site and videos - the video reviews are some of the best I've ever seen, and I think this site really speaks to a need that a lot of gamers have around getting decent info on displays.
Thanks!
current situation - I had a Acer Predator XB271HU, which after about 9 months, suddenly developed a black 'crack' under the screen that slowly spread. Ive sent it back to Acer but theyre refusing ackonlwegde it was there problem - obviously not massively happy.
wtf :X However, yes it feels weird to buy the PG279Q after owning the Acer :P

The Alienware AW3418DW feels like a solid upgrade, but at nearly double the cost of the above monitors, im not sure its worth it (plus a few goes on the ultradwides have left me with some minor nausea issues). It's also out of stock on Dell's site for at least a month.
Double of the cost? wow. Acer 750€ and the Alienware 999€ . It is definitely worth if IF you play games that support the 21:9 aspect ratio (especially singleplayer games and RPGs) For multitasking personally I prefer 2x 16:9 (even for the premiere) Watching series on an ultrawide monitor also is... lame (: So you should keep this in mind

Otherwise the LG 32GK850G-B feels like a possibilty, but not sure if the VA screen will be a bit meh after the IPs panel. Plus, 27 seemed a good size for a desktop monitor - I'm a bit worried 31.5 will feel like too much real estate sitting that close.
I THINK, switching from IPS to VA is possible, but you have to get used to several days. Especially the color shift is something which can disturb (me personally) but overall VA also is great of course. For me personally again, 31.5 Inch also is too big for daily usage. Maybe good when ONLY playing games, but overall I prefer 27".

So, in short, would you opt for one of the above, or would you wait a while? I have an old 1080 IPS panel im using at the moment, so its not urgent. I'm wondering if I got another 1440/144 IPS id be kicking myself in 3 months time when XYZ new monitors come out?
Wait a while. LG will release soon a 100Hz ultrawide NANO IPS (quantum dot IPS) monitor or wait for some newer direct LED monitors (Q3/Q4). I don't think that in the next 1-2 years monitors will come out which will drop the price from current WQHD 1440p IPS monitors. They will just release "better" and improved panels for a higher price. (This is what I think). The next 3 months only LG will probably release a new highlight. The 4k 144Hz HDR and Ultrawide QHD 200Hz HDR Quantum Dot Panels will probably release Q3 from what tft central says... Especially when you can still use your Acer XB271HU, I would wait for newer releases with bigger improvements :)

Thanks for the reply lim - thats really appreciated!

Sorry, i probably wasnt 100% clear - so my Acer XB271HU is broken and Acer are refusing to repair it (and the repair costs more then a new monitor). (I managed to get it for about £550 at the time - hence double the cost for the Alienware:))

I've dug out my old HP ZR2440w (24 inch, 1080 IPS) as a temporary replacement, which isnt the end of the world, but feels a bit limiting for a 1080ti :) So it feels a bit like the choices are:

1) purchase a replacement/equivalent (PG279Q)
2) get the alienware
3) wait it out 6 months and stick with the old HP ZR2440w

Ok ok, I understand.

If you are willing to spend +2000€/$ for a monitor, I simply would wait and buy a cheap 144Hz monitor for the next 6 months :P Otherwise, you also can get the Alienware and sell it after the monster monitors have been released :)

Personally, I wouldn't invest now in an ultrawide because I just want to have that direct LED thing, and I really HOPE that all dimming zones also work with SDR content, otherwise I will kill them all :P

So... It also depends how many time you invest into games - If you play several hours a week maybe it is also worth to get a 16:9 IPS or the Alienware - maybe this is how I would do if I just would have enough time to play games. But since I barely have 2-3 hours to play a game in a week, I would not spend now 1000€ for an Ultrawide monitor for the next 6 months. In the end, you decide :P

That's a good point considering how much the new monitors are likely to be - i havent given that much thought.

I think I might order the ultrawide alienware and test it at home for a week - I've got a funny feeling the POV might make me feel a bit sick anyway - then see how I get on with it in practice.

Thanks for the advice Lim, thats really appreciated.

Hi,

i'am hangig on here once, i'am also looking for a new Monitor, i'd would like to go for a ultrawide Monitor. At the moment i have the Asus PQ278QR, i'am thinking about buying the Alienware or should I waiting for some new Monitors showing up, for me G-Sync is important. What would your personal advice be?

Kind Regards
Sebastian