LG 24GM79G-B Questions (Moving Horizontal Lines & Crushed Blacks)

Dear Lim,

I just got this monitor a few days ago and found settings near the ones in your review to be the best suit for general viewing pleasure and gaming. Love the color vibrancy and responsiveness of this set! However there's a few things that I can't quite fix:

1. Moving Horizontal Grey lines: Only visible at 120hz or higher (with or without 1 MS Blur Reduction enabled). These aren't a real pain, since I can only really notice them if I'm close than arms' length to my monitor, but they're more obvious here than on your review sample from what I can tell.

2: Crushed blacks: Using http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php to test my black levels, knowing that I'm seated with monitor upper edge @ eye level and sitting still (because this monitor as most TN's has quite some gamma shift depending on how you sit/look at it) I can only see from block 10 and up, the rest is just pitch black. Can I save this or did I get a bad sample? I can see if I can take photo's/video's tonight/tomorrow but I don't have much time currently.

Monitor settings preset: Custom
Brightness: 40
Contrast: 65
Sharpness: 50
Normal response time
Black Stabilizer 0
Gamma Mode 4
R: 46
B: 50
Blue: 50
1MS BLUR REDUCTION: OFF (since that totally changes how the image looks, I only turn that on in shooters/fast gameplay, love the effect on motion clarity)
Also installed your ICC, but that was basically the same, image settings and quality wise.

A few things make a big impact here: top of screen is darker than bottom (when scrolling the image), making it harder to calibrate than my older LG TN panel (60hz, 7 years old Flatron WW2235), and setting RGB Out Spectrum to ''Full'' in Nvidia makes colors pop, gradients smoother, but crushes blacks more. Unfortunately setting this to limited only brightens up the image a little bit. Plus I should be able to use Full RGB setting with this monitor as far as I'm aware. Or am I mistaken here?
Lastly black stabilizer can help here, but if I crank that up to just be able to barely make out all the black squares in that link the bottom of my screen just turns blue instead of black so that's not ideal either...

I'm trying to figure out if I've got a decent panel when it comes to the moving lines (I can learn to live with those, during gameplay they're hard to notice), and the gamma/black level thing or that I should re-enter the monitor panel lottery... I'd rater not since this one's got 0 (!) dead pixels and only your average clouding/backlight bleed you'd expect from TN panels...

Any ideas? I'll update this thread tonight/tomorrow when I've got time ;)

EDIT: Also weird: The Dynamic Action Sync (DAS) feature is on the website, on the box and on every site selling the monitor... but... it's not on the monitor itself ;p Not in any preset or custom mode. I'm going to mail LG about that... did you have it available?

Re: LG 24GM79G-B Questions (Moving Horizontal Lines & Crushed Blacks)

I can only see from block 10 and up, the rest is just pitch black. Can I save this or did I get a bad sample? I can see if I can take photo's/video's tonight/tomorrow but I don't have much time currently.
Oh, that is pretty annoying. Propper gamma settings should fix this BUT the LG indeed has a bit different gamma curvature to other TN panels (a bit fewer details in blacks). Did you have tried to tweak gamma? What does the lagoom test say which gamma settings are set? (I mean it is not really accurate but better than nothin)

Can I save this or did I get a bad sample? I can see if I can take photo's/video's tonight/tomorrow but I don't have much time currently.
This, of course, can vary A BIT but as mentioned, the LG has a bit different gamma curvature in blacks. I would try to change gamma settings (you also can try through windows software)

A few things make a big impact here: top of screen is darker than bottom (when scrolling the image)
You mean the top part is darker only when you are scrolling? If so, then this is definitely not usual

Plus I should be able to use Full RGB setting with this monitor as far as I'm aware. Or am I mistaken here?
Yes, you should be able to use the Full RGB setting

Lastly black stabilizer can help here, but if I crank that up to just be able to barely make out all the black squares in that link the bottom of my screen just turns blue instead of black so that's not ideal either...
Well, in this case, blacks are worse and the contrast will be much worse. I would use the black equalizer only in FPS games probably, where graphics are not that important (CS GO for exampl)

EDIT: Also weird: The Dynamic Action Sync (DAS) feature is on the website, on the box and on every site selling the monitor... but... it's not on the monitor itself ;p Not in any preset or custom mode. I'm going to mail LG about that... did you have it available?
the DAS mode only is available in the older model, not in the newer. I think they just have implemented this "feature" in the standard settings. Sometimes manufacturers are really weird and super confusing...

Hmm well, in the end, it is a good and hard to answer question if the dynamic range of blacks can differ within the LG so I cannot really promise that this will change in another unit. I only had dead pixels in 3 monitors so far from all my reviews :P

If you cant stand the "black crush" then maybe another model is better suited for your needs (maybe the Alienware 240Hz with Freesync since it is pretty cheap atm) or the Viewsonic XG2401 / XG2402. The CFG73 btw is also very nice but of course with more smearing/motion blur (but overall nice colors)

I wish I could give you an answer if you should RMA and try another unit. Personally, I would and if the second unit would not satisfy me, I would go for another model. On my unit the black crush was pretty barely visible

regarding point 1, have a look at my post at viewtopic.php?p=1088#p1088 , I had those horizontal lines on two units and I read about it on amazon reviews and youtube comments. So most likely, this is no indication of a defective panel (LG support couldn't even notice it ... >.<).
So did you got another monitor for now?

lim wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 21:10
I can only see from block 10 and up, the rest is just pitch black. Can I save this or did I get a bad sample? I can see if I can take photo's/video's tonight/tomorrow but I don't have much time currently.
Oh, that is pretty annoying. Propper gamma settings should fix this BUT the LG indeed has a bit different gamma curvature to other TN panels (a bit fewer details in blacks). Did you have tried to tweak gamma? What does the lagoom test say which gamma settings are set? (I mean it is not really accurate but better than nothin)

Can I save this or did I get a bad sample? I can see if I can take photo's/video's tonight/tomorrow but I don't have much time currently.
This, of course, can vary A BIT but as mentioned, the LG has a bit different gamma curvature in blacks. I would try to change gamma settings (you also can try through windows software)

A few things make a big impact here: top of screen is darker than bottom (when scrolling the image)
You mean the top part is darker only when you are scrolling? If so, then this is definitely not usual

Plus I should be able to use Full RGB setting with this monitor as far as I'm aware. Or am I mistaken here?
Yes, you should be able to use the Full RGB setting

Well, in this case, blacks are worse and the contrast will be much worse. I would use the black equalizer only in FPS games probably, where graphics are not that important (CS GO for exampl)

the DAS mode only is available in the older model, not in the newer. I think they just have implemented this "feature" in the standard settings. Sometimes manufacturers are really weird and super confusing...

Hmm well, in the end, it is a good and hard to answer question if the dynamic range of blacks can differ within the LG so I cannot really promise that this will change in another unit. I only had dead pixels in 3 monitors so far from all my reviews :P

If you cant stand the "black crush" then maybe another model is better suited for your needs (maybe the Alienware 240Hz with Freesync since it is pretty cheap atm) or the Viewsonic XG2401 / XG2402. The CFG73 btw is also very nice but of course with more smearing/motion blur (but overall nice colors)

I wish I could give you an answer if you should RMA and try another unit. Personally, I would and if the second unit would not satisfy me, I would go for another model. On my unit the black crush was pretty barely visible

regarding point 1, have a look at my post at viewtopic.php?p=1088#p1088 , I had those horizontal lines on two units and I read about it on amazon reviews and youtube comments. So most likely, this is no indication of a defective panel (LG support couldn't even notice it ... >.<).
So did you got another monitor for now?
Hey Lim I'll get back to responding with pictures later, might take a few days but I've discovered something that I'd like you (or others) to try if they notice moving grey scanlines on their monitor, because this fixes it for me in windows. Have to still test it in-game:

Make a custom resolution:

I noticed I could see the lines @ 120hz and worse @ 144hz. The screen also has a standard 119hz mode though. I tested that and the lines were completely gone (verified by me, my girlfriend and another friend who can easily spot them). So I went into Nvidia control panel (you can also use Custom Resolution Utility, it's free!) and made a custom resolution.

The only thing I did was set 144hz mode, but change the actual refresh to 143 hz (you have to choose a decimal value between 143 and 144, I went with 143.00hz) and guess what... it's gone! I don't know if it transfers to games but it's a very obvious difference and I thought perhaps you (or others) could try this as well if you've got monitors with this 'issue'. I got the idea from what I noticed at 119hz vs 120 and read that some ASUS models could get rid of the issue by making custom resolutions as well.

This fixes all 'movement' of the screen including those lines whilst it doesn't affect image quality in windows at all.

Please let me know if I'm on to something here if you've got a monitor with visible lines lying around!

EDIT2: For some reason this only works with Blur Reduction off... If I turn it on, the lines are gone at 144hz, but visible at 143, tested 10+ times... Really strange, but true for some reason. Seems to have to do with the fact that Blur Reduction usually only works at 120 or 144hz, by turning it on through FPS1-mode it forces it on 143, causing visible lines.

Hey mate, that sounds awesome, thanks for sharing this information. I cannot test this by myself but I will post this also on the page and on the LG topic, thanks!

EDIT2: For some reason this only works with Blur Reduction off... If I turn it on, the lines are gone at 144hz, but visible at 143, tested 10+ times... Really strange, but true for some reason. Seems to have to do with the fact that Blur Reduction usually only works at 120 or 144hz, by turning it on through FPS1-mode it forces it on 143, causing visible lines.

Hey, I mean, as long it works on 144Hz / 120Hz, it still is a good to know :) Will test this in all future models when I will observe scanlines, that is really nice (:

Cheers