XB271HU Varying Sharpness Among Models Above 100Hz

Hi this is to follow up with a previous thread that I can't seem to locate. I said I would post pics of the two XB271HU monitors that demonstrate different models can vary in sharpness. At 100z or less they both pass but for some reason above 100Hz sharpness decreases with each increase in Hz, at least according to the lagom test.

Both monitors are set at 144Hz

Seems people on resetera noticed it too. https://www.resetera.com/threads/g-sync ... 961/page-3

I can confirm my PG278Q passes at every Hz level. Although, that still looks worse than the XB271HU (if I could get a monitor with passable uniformity which after 4 exchanges I have yet to do.)

Re: XB271HU Varying Sharpness Among Models Above 100Hz

Hey Lim,

I made them blurry intentionally to reflect how they look in real life if I squint from a distance. Those two pics accurately reflect how it looks in real life. The camera kinda messes up if I take them focused. But I've included some more that are less out of focus as well as a link to some more info on the issue.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comme ... s_lagomnl/

http://www.overclock.net/t/1581181/acer ... -pics/7910

Apparently the PG279Q passes (there's a pic somewhere on the internet) and the AOC looks very close to passing if you look at the pic on the reddit thread in the comments.

It would be cool if you could include sharpness in your reviews, no other site does it!

I never even considered sharpness on my monitors before but when I got my first XB271HU I felt like things seemed off, a little more blurry everywhere compared to my PG278Q, almost like I needed a very low prescription glasses. That's why I looked for a sharpness test and found the lagom one. I've used lagom before but always skipped the sharpness test, I was always looking for colour contrast, black level, gamma, etc but never sharpness because things always seemed sharp on my previous monitors. I tested the sharpness and was surprised that it was too low. It's barely perceptible, but it can feel like there's a slight AA on the whole monitor. The one with better sharpness that still (barely) fails the test feels fine. The other one feels like I'm struggling to see clearly like I need a very light prescription for glasses. The better sharpness one feels like there's slightly more depth to the image too in games. Browsing or using the windows is the same pretty much.

Re: XB271HU Varying Sharpness Among Models Above 100Hz

I made them blurry intentionally to reflect how they look in real life if I squint from a distance. Those two pics accurately reflect how it looks in real life. The camera kinda messes up if I take them focused. But I've included some more that are less out of focus as well as a link to some more info on the issu, .
Oh I understand, sorry for that :)

It would be cool if you could include sharpness in your reviews, no other site does it!
I will, thanks for your suggestion(!) - But I have to "collect" some experience to share true "ratings" according to the sharpness.
I never even considered sharpness on my monitors before but when I got my first XB271HU I felt like things seemed off, a little more blurry everywhere compared to my PG278Q, almost like I needed a very low prescription glasses.
This is the experience I've made on the XB271HUA (TN unit)

The one with a better sharpness that still (barely) fails the test feels fine. The other one feels like I'm struggling to see clearly like I need a very light prescription for glasses. The better sharpness one feels like there's slightly more depth to the image too in games. Browsing or using the windows is the same pretty much.
Very interesting. At the Acer XB271HUA, where I also made this strange sharpness experience, first I thought that this simply was my eyes or simply a wrong memory to the PG278QR and the Dell S2716DG. Really nice info! Will include sharpness then already in the next review I'm working on it right now :)

Cheers