LG 24GM79G advice needed

Hello everyone, I find myself in need of some advice. A few days ago, I got myself an LG 24GM79G, in part thanks to Lim’s excellent Freesync tournament. Like the review said, the colors out of the box were… alarming, but after changing to custom mode and fiddling with the gamma/equalizer settings things improved a lot.

However, once I started trying things out, I noticed two things:

First, the top left corner of the screen seems noticeably darker when looking at images that are all the same color. It’s not that easy to notice in games, but once I noticed it, it’s hard to unsee.
https://picload.org/view/ddoldpdl/lg_144_grey.jpg.html
https://picload.org/view/ddoldpdi/lg_144_blue.jpg.html
https://picload.org/view/ddoldpaw/lg_144_black.jpg.html

Strangely, although in person a quite clear brightness difference can also be seen on an all-black screen, it doesn’t show up well on photos. I’ve had two other people confirm this for me, so it’s not just my eyes playing tricks.

Colors seem most uniform from slightly above the screen.
https://picload.org/view/ddoldpdw/lg_top_grey.jpg.html
https://picload.org/view/ddoldpaa/lg_top_blue.jpg.html

Second, there seems to be a clear bright patch left from the middle of the screen. I can’t see it when sitting straight in front of the monitor or to the right, but you only need to lean a little to the left before it starts to get apparent. This is not glare or a reflection, though it looks a bit like it in the photo.
https://picload.org/view/ddoldpai/lg_br ... h.jpg.html

Are these significant flaws? Or something to be expected with this type of screen? I’m not really up to date on monitors these days. Shops around here seem to fight tooth and nail against any warranty claims, so I don’t want to get into that unless I have strong case.

Re: LG 24GM79G advice needed

Hey mate,
First, the top left corner of the screen seems noticeably darker when looking at images that are all the same color. It’s not that easy to notice in games, but once I noticed it, it’s hard to unsee.
Seems like your unit does not have a uniformity as good as my unit had. The uniformity, unfortunately, can vary in each individual unit.
Strangely, although in person a quite clear brightness difference can also be seen on an all-black screen, it doesn’t show up well on photos. I’ve had two other people confirm this for me, so it’s not just my eyes playing tricks.
Not sure if you mean that the top is darker than the bottom for example, but this is TN typical (gamma shift in viewing angles, darker top, brighter aka washed out bottom). There are 2 types of "uniformity". The color temperature uniformity and the brightness uniformity, both can suffer in individual units. Even a 1000€ monitor will suffer from this issue whereas graphics monitors are mostly much better at this "topic".
Second, there seems to be a clear bright patch left from the middle of the screen. I can’t see it when sitting straight in front of the monitor or to the right, but you only need to lean a little to the left before it starts to get apparent. This is not glare or a reflection, though it looks a bit like it in the photo.
I assume this is clouding. Clouding can change in viewing angles, mostly when it is only a little bit visible when sitting in front of the monitor
Are these significant flaws?
It is really extremely hard to evaluate since I also assume that you have shot these photos with a smartphone or a digicam. How does it look in person? If it is something which disturbs, I would simply exchange for another unit. But you don't will lose anything, except your time, when changing your unit through the reseller - If this is something which is possible in your region

Not sure if you mean that the top is darker than the bottom for example, but this is TN typical (gamma shift in viewing angles, darker top, brighter aka washed out bottom). There are 2 types of "uniformity". The color temperature uniformity and the brightness uniformity, both can suffer in individual units. Even a 1000€ monitor will suffer from this issue whereas graphics monitors are mostly much better at this "topic".
Fair enough. Looking at my old monitor, it does have something similar going on, though there isn't as much of a left-right difference there. Guess I just got too used to it to notice before.

I assume this is clouding. Clouding can change in viewing angles, mostly when it is only a little bit visible when sitting in front of the monitor
Oh, it this also clouding? Usually when I look at examples of clouding, it's all over the screen, and visible even from straight on. Whereas this thing is a single blotch that's only visible when you start leaning to the side.

It's not like it makes the monitor unusable, but it really bugs me when it visible.

It's not like it makes the monitor unusable, but it really bugs me when it visible.
Clouding can vary, Is this "blotch" visible at the same amount as on your photo? If so, then this is pretty weird and I've never seen it that it changes so drastically. Personally, I would exchange for another unit ... It looks pretty strange to me

lim wrote:
07 Jan 2018, 22:23
Clouding can vary, Is this "blotch" visible at the same amount as on your photo? If so, then this is pretty weird and I've never seen it that it changes so drastically. Personally, I would exchange for another unit ... It looks pretty strange to me

If anything, it was more visible in person than on the photo. The size and intensity depended a lot on the viewing angle, of course.

So I did get it exchanged and I'm waiting for a new unit to arrive now. Hopefully that'll be the end of it.

Hey guys,

I also need your advise on the LG 24GM79. I returned the Samsung C24FG73 because of some dead pixels and the famous purple artifacts and got the LG instead. This is my second unit, because the first one also had some dead pixels. However, on both units, I have clearly noticeable horizontal lines when using 120 or 140 Hz. It is strongest in games and videos on bright surfaces, but you can also spot it on the Windows desktop.

Lim, you reported something similar, maybe the same issue, in your review of this monitor, but you saw it only if you were very close to the monitor, right? In my case, you'll notice it from a normal viewing distance and it is really disturbing. Since this is my second unit of this type, I am wondering if there really are units that don't have this artifact?

Right now, I am quite frustrated with my decision to upgrade from 60 Hz to 144 Hz, since every damn 144 Hz monitor seems to have some kind of artifacts? Regarding the ViewSonic XG2402, I've also read about pixel inversion leading to horizontal lines. Any thoughts on that? Is it worth going for another unit of the LG 24GM79?

Hey mate
I have clearly noticeable horizontal lines when using 120 or 140 Hz. It is strongest in games and videos on bright surfaces, but you can also spot it on the Windows desktop.
I only had horizontal scanlines on dark uniform colors, so they probably will differ within each individual unit (some models have them permanently like the PG348Q, some models like this LG probably can differ) I do not have seen scanlines on my unit
Lim, you reported something similar, maybe the same issue, in your review of this monitor, but you saw it only if you were very close to the monitor, right? In my case, you'll notice it from a normal viewing distance and it is really disturbing. Since this is my second unit of this type, I am wondering if there really are units that don't have this artifact?
Yes. Very close to the monitor but there wasn't really scan-lines. It was "moving" darker lines from bottom to top in darker uniform colors (like dark grey) No all units will have these scanlines, I'm pretty familiar with them and my unit was pretty good in this case. But I also have learned that a monitor will differ in nearly ALL topics (gamma, blacks, blb, clouding, homogeneity, color temp, artifacts, scanlines...........) So that measurement, especially in very low numbers and differences aren't really helping in ANY case. (like measurements in terms of overdrive settings, homogeneity, clouding, blb... again etc). So that the best way to review a display is to order 3-5 same units and check what the average customer will get. If a wonder will happen and I will be able to make such tests, I will do.
Right now, I am quite frustrated with my decision to upgrade from 60 Hz to 144 Hz, since every damn 144 Hz monitor seems to have some kind of artifacts? Regarding the ViewSonic XG2402, I've also read about pixel inversion leading to horizontal lines. Any thoughts on that? Is it worth going for another unit of the LG 24GM79?
Which artifacts do you mean? Scanlines? Well like mentioned, I assume that it also is a lottery. My Viewsonic XG2401 has Scanlines on the top right (very minimal) whereas my Asus MG248Q had very noticeable ones... It's frustrating, I know, especially for people who take a closer look into such things :/

Hey Lim,
thanks for your reply! I'm not sure if there are scan lines or rather pixel inversion artifacts in my case. The horizontal lines don't run from bottom to top or vise versa, it is more like the pixels lag behind if the image moves, which kind of distorts the image. If I come close to the display, a flickering is noticeable. The lottery thing is driving my crazy. Since this is my second unit, I'm not really convinced that a third unit would fix anything. I already contacted the LG support ... but, oh boy, this is insane ... ("Do you set up the native resolution? Do you use the DisplayPort cable? Please reset the monitor settings ...")

Having seen most of your 24" 144 Hz monitor reviews and having read a ton in different forums, it seems that every monitor in this category has most likely an artifact issue some way or the other. What a shame. :(

Having seen most of your 24" 144 Hz monitor reviews and having read a ton in different forums, it seems that every monitor in this category has most likely an artifact issue some way or the other. What a shame. :(
That's true and some units will have more some units will have fewer artifacts, pixel inversion, etc. This is just something which differs in all individual units and it is mostly within all topics (sharpness, gamma, native color temperature, delta e deviations, banding, motion blur, clouding, contrast....) so in the end, a "rating" with given points is useless especially when reviewing a monitor in-depth. I also have learned and quickly removed ratings on lims cave. I just will add "rankings" rather than "ratings" where ppl can compare a specific topic (like panel coating or panel frame construction) with other monitors.