Acer XF270HUA or other monitor choice... (CFG73 etc.)

Hi all,

I'm currently looking to upgrade my monitor to preferably a 144hz IPS display, the reason for 144hz is that it's great and I don't want to go back to 60hz again. My main reason for upgrading though, is improved colors and image quality as I enjoy watching movies, TV shows or YouTube videos in high quality. For information purposes, my current monitor is the Philips 242G5DJEB (24'' 1080p, TN, 144hz) I also have a 21,5'' 1080p 60hz VA BenQ monitor as second monitor, I don't really know if variable refresh and variable resolution might cause issues.

The problem I have is deciding between the Acer XF270HUA (440 euros) and the Samsung CFG73 (400 euros), the reason is that the price difference is very little relative to the difference in specifications.

My problem however, is that I currently have a GTX 780 and an i5-4760k and I'm afraid that getting the 1440p 144hz monitor will never be able to reach its full potential with my specs. I don't game that intensely anymore but I do like some Rocket League, FIFA, GTA 5, Assetto Corsa, Cities Skylines, Sims 4 on occasion. It'd also not be a surprise if I decide to start playing Battlefield 3-4 again for instance. Because of this I include the CFG73 in there because it's 1080p, essentially maintaining the same setup but vastly improving the image quality with the VA Quantom Dot panel. I've looked into upgrading my PC as well and I have the funds to do it, but it's more a question of value and timing as I don't intensely game that much anymore. I used to play weekends on end in CS:GO or Battlefield, but currently I work a full time job and don't play that much with my friends anymore. I'm also going to start school again soon and would rather invest that money in a good laptop than into an expensive PC upgrading spree which is infected by crypto prices.

I've been researching other people's experiences with the GTX 780 at 1440p but it varies dramatically, making it hard to come to a conclusion on whether it's worth getting into or not. People also mention 1440p lower settings as an option, but that is a very subjective topic as every game is different, but I'd definitely be open to compromise with in-game quality settings as long as down sampling wouldn't be mandatory.

I hope any of you could provide any insight in my dilemma, as I really can't decide what to do.

Thanks in advance!

I'd also like to thank you Lim, for the extensive catalogue of detailed reviews on your YouTube channel, which have definitely helped me out to find good options.

EDIT: Formatting and additional info.

Re: Acer XF270HUA or other monitor choice... (CFG73 etc.)

I used to play weekends on end in CS:GO or Battlefield, but currently I work a full time job and don't play that much with my friends anymore. I'm also going to start school again soon and would rather invest that money in a good laptop than into an expensive PC upgrading spree which is infected by crypto prices.
Hello :P Oh yeah, I did not play since maybe more than a year, only for testing some monitors.. T_T
GTX 780 at 1440p
With this graphics cards in newer games... I would say don't do this. Even reaching 144Hz on 1080p will not be easy to be honest. I

I would go with the Samsung IF YOU DON'T want to upgrade your PC in near future (maybe 1 year?) Otherwise I would go with the XF270HUA since it overall image quality is better than the Samsungs. The Samsung only wins in a pitch black room due to the better contrast. Blacks also are better but not by far since the VA Glow also is a problem on the Samsung.

So go with the Acer if you will upgrade in future and play on 1080p downscaling for 1 year :P
Go with the Samsung if you will keep your pc for a while but 400€ for the Samsung is pretty much tbh. In ger it cost around 300€

I'd also like to thank you Lim, for the extensive catalogue of detailed reviews on your YouTube channel, which have definitely helped me out to find good options.
Thanks dude :)