Best 240hz monitor?

Hey lims! Can you help me out? Ive been looking for a monitor to pair up with my laptop which has a gtx 1070, i7 6820hk 16gb ram and 120hz gsync 17 inch monitor. Im looking for a TN Panel 24 inch monitor because I play mostly Dota 2, Cs go and PUBG. Can you help me out? I usually play without gsync and I dont think I would be buying a gsync monitor unless there is a significant benefit to it in my gaming. Budget isnt an issue but I would prefer not to spend extra on gsync because here in my country gsync is an extra 200$. Thank you!

Re: Best 240hz monitor?

I have gtx 1080ti i want fastest low input lag, best color and less problem gaming monitor with 240hz and 25inch.
Hard to tell since I did not have tested any of them. What I know is that the Alienware 240Hz Freesync model is also very cheap. I wanted to make a 240Hz monitor comparison in near future but I cannot promise when. The BenQ offers DyAc (if this is important for you) otherwise I would probably simply pick a cheaper unit. And if you will get one check for pixel artifacts, black homogeneity, and color temperature settings. A lot of TN panels getting a super greenish/bluish/reddish tint when setting your preferred color temperature.
Hey lims! Can you help me out? Ive been looking for a monitor to pair up with my laptop which has a gtx 1070, i7 6820hk 16gb ram and 120hz gsync 17 inch monitor. Im looking for a TN Panel 24 inch monitor because I play mostly Dota 2, Cs go and PUBG. Can you help me out? I usually play without gsync and I dont think I would be buying a gsync monitor unless there is a significant benefit to it in my gaming. Budget isnt an issue but I would prefer not to spend extra on gsync because here in my country gsync is an extra 200$. Thank you!
For Dota 2 and CS GO G-Sync is not really important. For PUBG otherwise, it is a nice to have in my opinion. What about the AOC G2460PG? How much does this one cost in your region? I mean it has ULMB and G-sync of course

I can add some info here.

I've currently extensively tested the Acer XB252Q versus a (almost flawless) Samsung CFG73 (VA) and my previous LG 24GM79.

The Acer Predator XB252Q has horrible settings from the factory. You will need to calibrate. But here are a few points from my own experience and a little something to think about in regards to its competitors. Keep in mind I do not use any tech for measurement, I use calibration tests and personal experience only. Also keep in mind this is in regard to the panels I personally own or have owned, and your experience may vary (due to panel lottery):

+ Very good colors after calibration. It's no QLED panel when it comes to gamma-shift and color depth or viewing angles, but it's superior to the LG or Acer Predator XB241H, especially due to having minimal clouding and minimal backlight bleed even with brightness settings up high. This 25'' panel seems to perform better than the old 24.5'' panels in general. This goes for the Asus and Alienware models as well (the Alienware is an even newer version of this same 25'' panel). However this only goes for the *GSYNC* models. The freesync models are a lot less consistent from what I've read from owners who own both versions.
+ Great pixel responsiveness. The fastest I've seen actually.
+ The Gsync module on these panels allows Gsync all the way up to 240hz and this does not add any input-lag compared to a normal framerate cap. For instance: CSGO/OW/Fortnite with Gsync on a 238FPS cap adds 0 extra input lag, which is amazing and gives an even smoother and micro-stutter/tear free image. According to the test I'll post at the end of this message and several tests on blurbusters.com it's only worth toggling off gsync for less input-lag if you can reach over twice the monitor's refresh rate in terms of frames per second. So unless you can hit 500+ fps in CSGO, for instance, it's probably more beneficial to play with 238fps cap & gsync enabled. Yes, I know that sounds crazy.
+ ULMB implementation, motion blur reduction, is slightly above average at 144hz (the max you can use it at) on all panels and can still be up to 300cd/2 in brightness, which is impressive. There is almost no contrast lost compared to the ULMB 120hz implementation on the 144hz gaming panels.

-The Asus and this Acer will have overshoot artifacts even with Overdrive on 'Normal' when set at 240hz. This is not there on 144hz mode. You won't notice this in-game, or even the Blurbusters UFO tests, however you can provoke this by dragging for instance this forum window around. You will see slight white-trailing behind text. Setting it to Fast or Extreme will exaggerate this issue greatly. From what I've heard: Overdrive is calibrated the best on the Alienware AW2518H (not the Hf version!). The downside of that monitor is that it uses BT.1866 gamma and doesn't give you any gamma-options in the OSD if your unit is badly calibrated. I've not heard many reports on that though.

All in all this is a great panel, but I'm also curious to try the newer Alienware AW2518H myself, due to the claimed better overdrive settings. I'm very, very nitpicky however and I've not heard many people complain about the Asus PG258Q or Acer Predator XB252Q overdrive settings, so apparently many people don't notice it at all.

The things I like best on this panel are the extremely good (competitive, even) gsync implementation (even Gsync with a 144fps cap will make it feel, visually, like 180+hz due to how smooth it is), its good colors and ULMB implementation without any annoying backlight bleed. It has a very, very small spot of BLB in the middle-centre of the bottom screen, near the bezel, but that's it.

Here are some in-depth tests on Gsync on the 240hz panels (all use variations of the same one!) that show there's no additional input lag even in competitive gaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8bFWk61KWA&t=969s

I'm very, very nitpicky however and I've not heard many people complain about the Asus PG258Q or Acer Predator XB252Q overdrive settings, so apparently many people don't notice it at all.
Overdrive settings also can vary a bit within each model, so that one unit can show more artifacts than another.. so hard to review monitors and that everyone is satisfied with a review :P

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Did you have observed color temperature artifacts and color temperature tint in viewing angles (upper part of the monitor?) When I set the Acer to a warmer color temperature then white went into green, when I have set to a bluish (cooler) one, then the upper part was very bluish

lim wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 12:23
I'm very, very nitpicky however and I've not heard many people complain about the Asus PG258Q or Acer Predator XB252Q overdrive settings, so apparently many people don't notice it at all.
Overdrive settings also can vary a bit within each model, so that one unit can show more artifacts than another.. so hard to review monitors and that everyone is satisfied with a review :P

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Did you have observed color temperature artifacts and color temperature tint in viewing angles (upper part of the monitor?) When I set the Acer to a warmer color temperature then white went into green, when I have set to a bluish (cooler) one, then the upper part was very bluish
I've only really noticed a pretty strong typical TN gamma shift, with the upper part of the monitor basically always being a bit warmer/brighter than the bottom which caught my attention immediately on this panel.
I've currently set it to Either 4 or 29 brightness (29 during day, 4 during night),
40 contrast,
gaming gamma (closest to 2.2 on this particular panel),
Warm color temperature (50/50/50) (I don't always mind the slight tendency towards red when gaming) or User (47, 52, 54) (in between 'warm and normal' in terms of color balance)
and Overdrive to normal @ 240hz for desktop use.