Advice on choosing an all round monitor

Hi Lim!

First of all congratulations for your site and your reviews. Although I am not a gamer ( I am an engineer), I can feel the different approach and quality of your site.

And now to the difficult part fo me: I am building a very decent home SFF rig (armed with a GTX 1070) and what I have the more difficulty in choosing is the monitor. My last monitor was one of the first Philips LCD 15", so I can understand what I read from reviews or analyses but I miss the personal feeling of the current technology.

Due to space constraints, I ended up that a 24" monitor would be ideal, a 27" would be on the extreme side. As I said am not a gamer, but I would like to buy something that would last for many years and if possible with high picture quality and nice ergonomics. I really like the AOC Agon models (especially the AG241QX which is 2K too and I have read very positive reviews) but I am afraid of the TN panel and the only one that has an IPS is the 27" G-sync which is also expensive.

Since I am feeling a bit lost, your guidence would be precious.

All the best,
Marinos

Re: Advice on choosing an all round monitor

Hey and thanks (:

Due to space constraints, I ended up that a 24" monitor would be ideal, a 27" would be on the extreme side. As I said am not a gamer, but I would like to buy something that would last for many years and if possible with high picture quality and nice ergonomics. I really like the AOC Agon models (especially the AG241QX which is 2K too and I have read very positive reviews) but I am afraid of the TN panel and the only one that has an IPS is the 27" G-sync which is also expensive.
Seems like you don't need/want 144Hz and you prefer image quality over Hz right? What is your budget? Hard to tell, since I am currently reviewing only high refresh rate panels. The AOC still will have a better image quality of course compared to your Philips LCD screen (I assume) but I am not sure yet if the AOC also suffers from color banding as the Dell S2716DG or the Dell S2417DG. The AOC, in addition, has a very matte panel coating from what I have read. According to PCMOnitor Review, the AOC has a smooth greyscale (and no color banding issues). So if you want 144Hz on 24", this is probably the way to go since the Dell has 100% color banding issues.

Smalle IPS 24/25" models:
AOC Q2577PWQ
LG IT Products 24MP88HV
LG 24BK55WY-B
LG 24BK550Y-B
LG 24BK750Y-B
LG 24BK55WD-B

But I don't have made any experience yet with one of them :/

Thanks Lim for your response!

Initially I was also looking at 25" QHD monitors but then after reading forums I realized that QHD on 25" is probably a compromise. To be honest, also reading various forums including yours lately, I got the feeling that 144Hz compared to 60Hz is like night and day, even for everyday use (there is no discussion about games of course). That was the reason that I looked at the AOC AG241QX.

Now, regarding my budget, the prices of top 27" monitors with GSync seemed too much for me. But, very recently I found the Acer XF-270HUA that has all the characteristics (QHD, 144Hz, not GSync but no worries for me, full ergonomics, bezeless) and which has a very good review from you too. It also has a very nice price for the category that I could think of. To be honest the thing that makes me afraid of is that it will occupy 80% of my desk area. On the other hand, you and most people, give most credits on 27", and I think that like my TV, the size is something that you get used to very fast.

Whatever, I will come back with feedback and photos when I pull the trigger!

All the best,
Marinos

and I think that like my TV, the size is something that you get used to very fast.
Indeed. VERY FAST .. :) Even when switching from 27 to 23.5 inch. And after using a 23.5 Inch monitor for a week and switching to 27" then it looks like a monster... It is really weird

Well yeah, 144Hz over everything :) That is definitely my opinion. Just for pure content creation and video enjoyment it is not really important.

The Acer XF270HUA is really good, but you will join the IPS Glow lottery of course (as with all IPS panels on the market yet). The PPI of the AOC, of course, is higher, and so it is sharper while the Acer (as well as the Acer, AOC and Viewsonic G-Sync Models) has some sharpness issues (which can vary in each unit) so that the native sharpness is a bit too low.

If you just prefer 24" then I maybe would simply try out the AOC in your case. It also sounds that you sit VERY close to the panel then? Because the closer the more IPS Glow you will observe. If you play in a darker room (or pitch black) then an IPS panel also is not optimum, especially when using higher brightness settings, in this case even a TN panel is better when your not a lucky guy who wins the lottery and gets a GOLDEN IPS Unit 8)

In my opinion, yes (for gaming). G-Sync = no tearing + more smoothness and in addition you will have ULMB (even it decreases the brightness to around 120-150cd/m2) which is my current favorite feature in monitors when you can handle around 100-120 stable FPS in a game (ULMB is simply a backlight scanning feature which also is a feature in current BenQ models for example, just not included in the G-Sync chip). Simply for browsing the web etc, it is not really worth to pay extra