Casual gamer looking for a monitor advice

Hi Lim, first of all - love your reviews and thank you for the knowledge.

My old monitor (a really old Samsung SyncMaster T220P) stopped working, and I'm looking for a new, affordable screen.

I'm a casual gamer (mostly single player strategy and high-end RPGs like the Witcher 3, occasionally dabbling in non-competitive multiplayer FPS like Overwatch or PBUG), but I also work on the computer. Due to the nature of games that I play, image quality is more important for me than response times (but I want my games to be fluid). My graphics card is a GTX 970. I am conflicted between the following monitors:

1. Dell U2417H - not a gaming monitor specifically, but I heard it's a great one for the price range - it's an IPS, and it's not expensive.
2. Samsung C24FG73FQM-U (a variation of the CFG70) - heard good things about it as it uses a VA panel with 144hz rates, but (1) my Nvidia card won't capitalize on the freesync and I'm a bit worried about tearing; (2) I heard it may have a purple artefact issue, and; (3) I never used a curved PC monitor and I'm not sure how comfortable is it.
3. Viewsonic XG2401 - That you reviewed and I heard great things about, but there's the freesync tearing issue here too, and I am worried about the image quality considering that it features a TN panel and not an IPS one.
4. LG 24GM79G - a bit more expensive than the rest in my country and also a TN (so don't know if it's worth the extra 100$ in my country over the Viewsonic).

Would really appreciate your thoughts or another recommendation in a different direction.

Thanks Lim!
Ben

Re: Casual gamer looking for a monitor advice

Hey mate sorry for the late response, I was pretty busy

2. Samsung C24FG73FQM-U (a variation of the CFG70) - heard good things about it as it uses a VA panel with 144hz rates, but (1) my Nvidia card won't capitalize on the freesync and I'm a bit worried about tearing; (2) I heard it may have a purple artefact issue, and; (3) I never used a curved PC monitor and I'm not sure how comfortable is it.
For this I have uploaded a new review :) Unfortunately, strobing is not that good anymore. So while you cannot use Freesync I'm not sure if you would use strobing (+ you cannot change the brightness)

1. Dell U2417H - not a gaming monitor specifically, but I heard it's a great one for the price range - it's an IPS, and it's not expensive.
Hard to tell if the Dell is a good one since I don't have made any experiences with current 60 Hz models. If you don't plan to buy a new graphics card (or system) in future, maybe 60Hz, especially for games like Witcher is maybe not that bad of an Idea. Personally, I really swear on a 144Hz monitor, but you should check benchmarks to know how much FPS you will reach with your current GPU or System to decide if a 144Hz monitor really makes sense. For Overwatch, of course, you would profit from 144Hz.
3. Viewsonic XG2401 - That you reviewed and I heard great things about, but there's the freesync tearing issue here too, and I am worried about the image quality considering that it features a TN panel and not an IPS one.
4. LG 24GM79G - a bit more expensive than the rest in my country and also a TN (so don't know if it's worth the extra 100$ in my country over the Viewsonic).
Both very good for a TN panel type monitor, the Viewsonic even a little (tiny) bit better while the LG also offers a strobing (motion blur) feature.

What about the Dell S2418H? It is an IPS GLOSSY panel which is cheaper than the "older" Dell model. I mean if you are someone who likes glossy as I do :P

The sharpness on 27" with Full HD often looks blurry, but not in all monitors, mostly in these cheaper ones. In the office, where I work, I have an IPS panel from Asus (also a cheaper one on 27" Asus VC279H-W) and overall I don't like this monitor, so it's hard to recommend something I have never seen or used for myself.

For me personally, 144Hz > all :P

A Full HD G-Sync monitor is currently very expensive, but if you can get one for maybe max 3000€, I would do so (maybe you can find some special offer in your region)

The CFG73 overall is really good, but you should consider its text-inversion issues (sharpening issues on text with faulty pixels which you can see with the naked eye) If you can deal with this, maybe the Samsung is a good idea for you. I really do like the overall image quality. Everything else here :P https://www.limscave.com/samsung-cfg73

lim wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 21:49
Hey mate sorry for the late response, I was pretty busy

For this I have uploaded a new review :) Unfortunately, strobing is not that good anymore. So while you cannot use Freesync I'm not sure if you would use strobing (+ you cannot change the brightness)

Hard to tell if the Dell is a good one since I don't have made any experiences with current 60 Hz models. If you don't plan to buy a new graphics card (or system) in future, maybe 60Hz, especially for games like Witcher is maybe not that bad of an Idea. Personally, I really swear on a 144Hz monitor, but you should check benchmarks to know how much FPS you will reach with your current GPU or System to decide if a 144Hz monitor really makes sense. For Overwatch, of course, you would profit from 144Hz.
Both very good for a TN panel type monitor, the Viewsonic even a little (tiny) bit better while the LG also offers a strobing (motion blur) feature.

What about the Dell S2418H? It is an IPS GLOSSY panel which is cheaper than the "older" Dell model. I mean if you are someone who likes glossy as I do :P

The sharpness on 27" with Full HD often looks blurry, but not in all monitors, mostly in these cheaper ones. In the office, where I work, I have an IPS panel from Asus (also a cheaper one on 27" Asus VC279H-W) and overall I don't like this monitor, so it's hard to recommend something I have never seen or used for myself.

For me personally, 144Hz > all :P

A Full HD G-Sync monitor is currently very expensive, but if you can get one for maybe max 3000€, I would do so (maybe you can find some special offer in your region)

The CFG73 overall is really good, but you should consider its text-inversion issues (sharpening issues on text with faulty pixels which you can see with the naked eye) If you can deal with this, maybe the Samsung is a good idea for you. I really do like the overall image quality. Everything else here :P https://www.limscave.com/samsung-cfg73
Thank you so much Lim. You convinced me about 144 hz. Assuming that I want to buy the new generation of nvidia graphics cards when they come out, and what's really important for me is image quality -- which screen would you generally recommend? (I'm willing to raise my budget).

I'm assuming that the ViewSonic isn't good enough for the newest graphics cards? And what do you think about the image quality of something like Dell S2716DG, Asus PG278Q (the Asus is 100$ more expensive here but seems to have less color banding issues) or Asus MG279Q (which is IPS but doesn't have g-sync)?

Also, out if the high end IPS G-Sync monitors, which would you choose - AOC AG271QG or Asus PG279Q? And are they worth the extra 150$ over the MG279Q?

Hey mate, sorry for the late response one again.
Thank you so much Lim. You convinced me about 144 hz. Assuming that I want to buy the new generation of nvidia graphics cards when they come out, and what's really important for me is image quality -- which screen would you generally recommend? (I'm willing to raise my budget).
If you want to do so, then I would recommend in general an IPS WQHD monitor, but these are pretty expensive (and you have the lottery with the IPS Glow)
'm assuming that the ViewSonic isn't good enough for the newest graphics cards?
Hard to tell, at least for now and depending on the price and the power of 2060 for example (or 1160). But even a 1070 cannot push 144Hz in games like Witcher or GTA for example, so maybe the Viewsonic still can be a good choice for newer Nvidia releases

And what do you think about the image quality of something like Dell S2716DG, Asus PG278Q (the Asus is 100$ more expensive here but seems to have less color banding issues) or Asus MG279Q (which is IPS but doesn't have g-sync)?
I don't like current WQHD G-Sync / Freesync panels because of the matte panel coating. The Dell, in general, is good but it has huge color banding issues, all other models (Asus, Acer, HP...) have the extreme matte panel coating. If this isnt something what is disturbing you then I would go with the Asus also because of better gamma and overdrive settings.

Also, out if the high end IPS G-Sync monitors, which would you choose - AOC AG271QG or Asus PG279Q?

AOC AG271QG, but all of them (except the Asus and Eizo FS2735) can have issues with sharpness settings (also a lottery) another user in this forum posted a difference between two exact same models (Acer XB271HU) and both differ in sharpness The AOC simply because the Asus has a very bad panel frame construction for IPS panels (more Glow and BLB) Personally I would go with the Acer or Viewsonic
And are they worth the extra 150$ over the MG279Q?
Because of G-Sync probably yes (and ULMB)